PPHS Now

PPHS Now

“ELDERLY MAN STRANDED IN THE BAHAMAS FOR THREE DAYS”

ELDERLY MAN STRANDED IN THE BAHAMAS FOR THREE DAYS

On the eighteenth of August, a 64-year-old man was stranded in the Bahamas after his sailboat failed to move. He was left to survive on an inhabitable island better known as Cay Sal. He has chosen to stay anonymous, but his rescuers work for the Coast Guard.

Records say that a disabled sailboat near the island of Cay Sal in the Bahamas was firing flares for help. The U.S. Coast Guard was able to drop supplies to the stranded man They gave him food, water, and a radio to be able to communicate further. He was able to inform the Coast Guards that he had been stranded for three days after his sailboat was disabled during his sailing.

As this story settles in, I thought it was best to hear opinions on this. I asked Johana Avalos what she thought of the situation and how she would react. She followed up by saying, “I think it is very scary to be alone for that long.” When I asked how she would react in his shoes, she said, “I would give up and accept it.”

This story was scary and unheard of. As the topic was brought up to my peers, no one knew what it was I spoke of. Hopefully, this article will bring a bit of awareness to more people. Though, the victim—luckily—ended up in good hands and was brought to safety. 

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Denise Mayorga-Avelar, Journalist
Denise Mayorga-Avelar is a relaxed junior at Purdue Polytechnic High school. She spends her days at school accompanying her friends and strengthening her bonds with people. Throughout the week she mainly focuses on schoolwork, friends, and work. She’s graduating a year early and is class of ‘24, but CO ‘25. What motivates her every day is her family and her dreams for the future. Denise enjoys reading, writing and listening to music. She doesn’t dislike much other than ketchup and ignorance. Her hatred for ketchup has no known origin, she just does. What makes her unique is her unstoppable dread of ketchup.
Donate to PPHS Now