PPHS Now

PPHS Now

The New Way of the Covid-19 Vaccine

The New Way of the Covid-19 Vaccine

On September 7, 2023 the first lady tested positive for Covid-19, cases have been taking a steady uptick since July. Since the number of cases are rising that also means the number of hospitalizations and deaths are increasing, even with this increase numbers remain low. In the week ending Aug 26, 2023 hospital admissions have risen 16% compared to the week before it, but the 17,400 new admissions were substantially less than the last few years, about 20% of the number of cases in 2021.  

The Biden Administration stated that Americans should now expect to get the Covid-19 vaccine like the flu shot, annually instead of more frequently like the boosters entailed. People have different theories for why this is. Michael Barbaro, host of The Daily , stated “I have to imagine that a big reason why the CDC is pushing this is not just because the previous regime was confusing, but because wasn’t the previous system wasn’t really getting people to take a vaccine.” This would seem a great reason to make the vaccine annual, it would be less confusing and tedious, and more people might get it because according to Apoorva Mandavilli (a science and global health reporter for The New York Times) only 12% of the predicted doses were given in the first half of the year, although people who really did need it like older adults did go out and get one.

As this virus continues to mutate and create new variants they will be studied, and hopefully with this new vaccine schedule people will take higher interest in getting their own.

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
    Aubrey Jones
    Aubrey Jones, Student journalist
    Aubrey Jones- Aubrey is a member of the class of 2025 she is dedicated to her studies and academic record, and she is also a part of the fashion club. Aubrey likes to read quite a bit, it”s what takes up a good amount of her free time she also is wanting to become a sonographer after high school.   When she isn’t focusing on her studies she is most likely spending time with her family or playing roadhog in Overwatch 2.  
    Donate to PPHS Now