PPHS Now

PPHS Now

News
Architecture and Cardboard Furniture class at Purdue Polytechnic High School
Sayla McClure, Journalist • December 15, 2023
News
Disasters of 2023
Zavion Jones, Journalist • December 15, 2023
News
Purdue Polytechnic High School 2D Arts Passion Project
December 14, 2023
News
Gas leak at Purdue Polytechnic High School
Sayla McClure, Journalist • December 13, 2023
Feminine supplies in the school female bathroom are needed
Opinion
De’Asia Williams, Journalist • December 12, 2023
Podcasts

Five Nights at Freddie’s: Should you watch it?

On October 27th the long-anticipated movie based on the popular game series Five Nights at Freddy’s was finally released. After 7 years of constant waiting, it has arrived. So, was it any good?

According to critics, not really. Upon release, the movie received its critic’s review, receiving a 30% from Rotten Tomatoes and a 33 Metascore from IMDB. At first, it seems that the movie is completely trash, but that is not the complete case. On the audience’s side, the movie received an 87% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and 5.5 stars on IMDB. What is the reason for this division between the audience and critics?

What is the root of this division between the audience and critics?  The movie was mostly aimed towards fans of the video game franchise. As seen from reviews like “it’s for the fans, to have a good time’’ from gurday, or ‘’not as good as I’d hoped but I still enjoyed it’’ from sleeping_Dragon, and “It’s not horror but its still FNAF’ from minecracker, all on IMDB. This movie was made for the fans, not necessarily for the critics. That’s where its biggest flaw comes from: it’s not made for the casual moviegoer, since you’ll need to know some lore for the movie to make sense.

As a fan of the series for nearly a decade, I will admit there is very obvious bias going on from the fan spectrum that might give off a false perception of the movie. But to answer the main question, “Is it worth a watch,” my response is yes. If you’re bored and want to watch something casual, or if you’re a fan of the games, then this movie is perfect for you. However, if you’re clueless about the games and like watching complicated movies, then you should watch something else.

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Jay Valentine, Journalist
Jay Valentine is a junior at PPHS (but he considers himself an honorary senior). He ushers in his urge for conversation as a writer for PPHS news. Jay has deep interests in writing, drawing, producing, and making stories and strives for a career that includes all those fields.  An interesting love of Jay is Jolly Rancher Chews, he has gone on record to debate its position in the top 5 candies of all time at any time. Jay is also very willing to help explore people's artístic minds, as he sees art as an important form of expression
Donate to PPHS Now