PPHS Now

PPHS Now

Taylor Swift hate explained

Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, and Kendrick Lamar were among the big winners at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards on Sunday (20.05.18).

Why is Taylor Swift so hated by the public? Why do people detest Taylor for other reasons? For decades, Taylor Swift’s music has been criticized for being repetitive and troublesome. 

Every star has their detractors, but Taylor Swift is among the most despised pop musicians of all time. 

Born in West Reading, Pennsylvania, on December 13, 1989, Taylor Alison Swift started creating songs at the age of 14. Later, in 2006, she made her music debut with the tune “Tim McGraw.” As of November 2023, Taylor Swift had won over 12 Grammy Awards, with her career having taken off in the 2000s. With millions of followers worldwide who follow her, listen to her music, purchase her CDs, and vote for her at award shows, and other activities, Taylor Swift has become incredibly popular. There is deeper things about the artist and the music industry, and a celebrity isn’t really famous without hate.

The fact that Taylor’s songs all sound the same and are about her exes—all of whom she sings about—is one of the most common arguments used by people to criticize her music. This is evident in everything from Instagram comments to TikTok posts. “I don’t enjoy her songs.” A Reddit member posted, “I think her lyrics are boring and her voice is really mediocre (and as a classically trained vocalist myself, I know what mediocrity is).” People hate Taylor Swift even more since she is well-known for being a very white feminist. 

Diana, a classmate of mine, claims, “I just don’t like her because all she sings about is her exes, and her songs are really repetitive as well.” Further interviewees all expressed the same views. My fellow student said, “She’s a fool of herself; she remakes her songs just so she can own them; boring songs, her voice isn’t even that good, she’s super overrated.” “Her songs are very repetitive and all sound the same.” “I don’t like Taylor, her songs are boring, and she’s very problematic as well.”

Despite all of the bad things Taylor Swift has done in the past and her repetitious songs, I don’t think I hate or detest her. Since every celebrity has at least once done something terrible and their music isn’t to everyone’s taste—which is understandable—I consider myself to be a casual listener and don’t really care what Taylor does. In conclusion, Taylor Swift has the same issues, problems, and scandals as any other well-known artist in the music industry.

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Annette Rosaldo-Agapito
Annette Rosaldo-Agapito, Student Journalist
 Annette Rosaldo-Agapito also going by Ally, is a junior at Purdue Polytechnic High School in the class of 2025. In her spare time, she particularly likes to write as a pastime. Writing articles for the Purdue Polytechnics newspaper is something she truly enjoys doing. She is highly interested in majoring in theater at Purdue. She can drive herself relatively effortlessly, but in order to drive herself to success, she prioritizes her future. In her spare time, she loves to dance and keeps more than five notebooks or journals in which she writes about her emotions and her life. She also has a great time interacting with and meeting new people. Despite her distaste for needlessly destructive people, she works hard to better herself in order to have a great future. 
Donate to PPHS Now