PPHS Now

PPHS Now

Recouping and Redeeming: PPHS vs. Christel House Manual Football

After a 21 to 27 loss against Shortridge, the PPHS football team is preparing for their next home game against Christel House on August 25th. While the loss was not an optimal way to kick off the 2023 season, a few players’ performances inspire hope and confidence for the rest of the season. Quarterback, Solomon Livingston, and Keshawn McGill, at safety and wide receiver, both played exceptionally. Solomon was responsible for over 160 passing yards, and Keyshawn finished the game with 6.5 tackles. Both athletes seemed eager and determined to push the team this next game and have been using this week to fix last week’s mistakes. As a returning player Solomon who knew all about our struggles and loss last year against Manual, “I think we are a lot more disciplined this year… We had a year to grow like Chang said, and so it’s helped us a lot as a team.”

Keyshawn brings a different perspective being new to the PPHS team, but used his experiences from the Shortridge game to comment on potential struggles that might arise during the Manual game, “Shooting ourselves in the foot definitely. Like keeping the penalties to a minimum. ” Head coach, Christopher Chang, while still wanting the win, is focused on other things he wants his athletes to get out of this game, “[His goal for the game.]Making sure we do everything the right way…I do care if we win or lose, but I think about this. My goal is to win, but my purpose is to make sure these kids do the right thing and be better and to take these types of mental disciplines for the rest of their lives. ”

This week especially, the mettle of players is being tested with extreme temperatures and humidity being common. This has led to all practices this week being held inside or shortened and even the game’s kickoff being pushed back to 7:30 p.m. However, regardless of Friday night’s forecast and heat index, the game will go on. There, we will get to see if the PPHS football can even out their 2023 record. The next game on the techies’ list is against Cardinal Ritter at Howe High School on September 1st.

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Carter Killilea
Carter Killilea, Journalist
Carter Killilea is a writer for PPHS Now in the class of 2025. Carter puts most of his energy into extracurriculars like football, volleyball, and robotics.Otherwise Carter is passionate about nature and the preservation of the ecosystem. Currently, Carter's post highschool interests lie in engineering and science, but regardless of his path, he hopes to succeed. Lastly, Carter has a strong disdain for poetry, speeches, taxes, and government.
Donate to PPHS Now