PPHS Now

PPHS Now

News
Architecture and Cardboard Furniture class at Purdue Polytechnic High School
Sayla McClure, Journalist • December 15, 2023
News
Disasters of 2023
Zavion Jones, Journalist • December 15, 2023
News
Purdue Polytechnic High School 2D Arts Passion Project
December 14, 2023
News
Gas leak at Purdue Polytechnic High School
Sayla McClure, Journalist • December 13, 2023
Feminine supplies in the school female bathroom are needed
Opinion
De’Asia Williams, Journalist • December 12, 2023
Podcasts

Anthony Richardson and The Protocols Of Concussions

Anthony Richardson is a 21-year-old man and a quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts, he recently sustained a concussion, sitting him out of games. Are The protocols for concussions benefiting the players and their health? Anthony Richardson is the number four overall pick of this year‘s draft.  While being on the starting 11 on the field Sunday night, a tragic event happened. The player was believed to have a concussion after taking a hit in the end zone after his second score he slammed his head on the turf and stayed in for the next play. He later reported having symptoms of a concussion and was pulled from the game. 

There was a study presented in 2022, AAP, national conference and exhibition, they found concussions are a little higher for athletes playing on synthetic turf fields compared to natural grass. The grass may be cheaper, but it is not in the best support of the players playing on the field. Not only do they cause more concussions, but ankle injuries” said the paper’s author, Ian Chun, a third-year medical student at the University of Hawai’i.” In the study, natural grass versus synthetic football fields were compared by assessing the decelerating force, when hitting the ground or the impact. To conclude, playing on synthetic grass is an increased risk of an injury vs. a player playing on Natural grass. Synthetic grass is easier to handle but It does not benefit the workers versus natural grass that fits the players, but not the workers. Turf fields are usually made of a layer of concrete, then artificial grass, and then crumb rubber. The condition that most players get when playing on turf is CTE a degenerative brain condition that includes severe depression and mood swings 99% of brains of NFL players have died by suicide caused by this condition. Now that you have this information? Do you think that the NFL should step up their grass?

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to PPHS Now