PPHS Now

PPHS Now

How City Life Wheels can help you

City Life heels is holding classes for 6-8 pm on Tuesdays at 2409 E Washington St to help local high school students learn how to maintain and work on cars.
Mykal McEldowney/IndyStar
A look inside City Life Wheels, an east side auto repair shop, on Tuesday, July 3, 2018.

City Life Wheels has a program to teach teens how to do basic maintenance and fix commonly occurring problems with motor vehicles. This program has shown to be beneficial for anyone interested in benign more prolific with cars. The skills learned will be something that sticks with you for life. City life wheels have helped people see a future where they have the knowledge to continue working on cars or just maintain theirs. Apprentice Marcus Fussell says he “hopes to open an auto repair shop of his own in Oklahoma with his father” (Mykal McEldowney/IndyStar.) 

(One of the classic cars worked on by City Life wheels students)

City Life Wheels makes money from donations and by auctioning cars that the students work on. This is a win-win situation because the students get to go from fixing a car to watching it get auctioned. Katy E, a contributor who donated a car said  “After the cars are repaired, they are sold. The profits from car sales are what make the organization possible. They are able to buy the needed supplies without requiring students to pay to participate in the program.” City Life Wheels is an educational non-profit that uses donated vehicles to teach near east-side youth basic auto maintenance and repair skills taught by an ASE-certified mechanic.

They are providing life skills, and instilling self-confidence while teaching skills that can lead to many other opportunities. Nate Hershey started City Life Wheels in 2013 and has continued his mission to better the youth to this day. They provide a safe work environment and assistance to all of the participants. This has been shown to help the students stay focused and make great progress. This program aims to do more than just teach people how to repair and maintain cars. It aims to bring people together through a common interest. Helping to get people into a safe environment where they can be productive and better themselves is one of the true goals of City Life Wheels.

Donate to PPHS Now

Your donation will support the student journalists of Purdue Polytechnic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to PPHS Now